Peter wrote this in the comments. Since I am letting other people fight the battle this weekend…
the losing streak was cruel and unusual punishment for the blue cap army– we finally got our big breakthrough and were able to see our beloved Mets in blue, orange and white for an entire homestand. then- as if the losing streak was not bad enough, we had to stand by as that blue- the official uniform of this team no less- was implicated as a potential cause for the losing by our MANAGER!?
even at our most irrational moment of black uni hatred- never did any follower of this fight or campaign ever posit that the black might be contributing to or losing ways over the past 5 years. but there it was- one homestand- one minor victory for arguably the team’s most dedicated fans– a group that only wants to see it hold true to some sens of tradition– and the the f’ing manager- a previously sensible seeming man if nothing else- proposes that maybe a move back to the black could bring back the winning ways!
cruel and unusual punishment.
this is also known as the moment i lost all respect/hope for terry collins. you know, since we are looking to change our performance by changing clothes– maybe we should try out some philies unis– or better yet yankees unis for a while. the guys who wear those seem to win an awful lot these days.
You know if I’m the Mets, I gotta have at least one meeting about this topic. Maybe we’re all a bunch of morons, but there’s a lot of us morons. (Read the comments on Uni Watch Flushing executives).
Once again (since there’s lots of new readers here in 2011) I will quickly recap my proposed Treaty of Flushing in which I make great concessions.
1. 5 days a week the Mets wear their traditional dropshadowless uniforms. White and blue at home. Gray and blue on the road (with the traditional N E W Y O R K).
2. Wilpons decide if they want pins or pinless. And then that’s it. Stay with it.
3. I will concede Black Fridays. Since Black sells (so I am told) dress the way you did last night. With the black cap so we can at least see the NY. This is a major concession.
4. Since marketing/merchandise is important – Anything Goes Sundays. Hawaiian shirts, Los Mets, Negro League throwbacks, camouflage, shorts, pink, orange, blue. Hell, roll one out every Sunday if MLB will let you (I don’t know how that works).
5. We all move on to another topic.
I believe this solves all needs (except for fans of hybrid caps which are eliminated). Is it ideal? No. Does it cause me pain? Yes. But this war must end.
I still like the idea that we meet in a subway car…I want Supreme Commander of The War On Black Paul Lukas to have the privilege of signing, but Howie Rose should be there too.
Shoot, I thought I wasn’t going to talk about this this weekend.
Uni Watch has a long section on this topic today…a must read for you cats which includes my favorite comment (in the comments): I’m torn on hybrid versus all-black. Kind of like choosing between a root canal and a kick in the crotch.